Monday, October 28, 2013


Boyfriend from Hell:
 
 

This book just didn’t live up to its competition in the urban fantasy genre.  I’m not going to lie, I’ve been in an urban fantasy mood lately so I thought this book would be perfect.  I have already kind of exhausted my favorite series and I needed something new.  But, that means that I had been reading books that I was guaranteed to love right before reading this one, so it had a lot to live up to. 

The story was okay – I think it was a bit convoluted and it just didn’t flow that well for me.  The concept itself, the daughters of Saturn having special powers, is great and I really enjoyed that.  Part of the problem was I wasn’t really sure what the author was going for.  Urban fantasies usually have a lot of humor, and it is often sarcastic or comes out of the absurd situations these characters find themselves in.  In my opinion, the best books allow humor to naturally appear in the banter of the characters.  In this book, the author was trying to add humor in the situations (examples: a woman who, when scared, spontaneously turns into a monkey, every time a daughter of Saturn sends someone to hell they get prettier) but it just came off as sad or confusing rather than funny to me. 

The characters were not particularly endearing to me, I liked ______ but that was pretty much it.  Even the main character didn’t speak to me (and I was really hoping to like her since there just aren’t that many books about law students out there). 

Overall, the book is okay.  I finished it with little trouble – but I was also able to put it down and forget about it for a couple of weeks with no problem.  If you are desperate for an urban fantasy series it will suffice, but there are much better books out there. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment