Friday, June 22, 2012

Review: Charade by Cambria Hebert

Goodreads Summary:
Dying at the hands of a psycho was a shock. Having my life returned to me by an angel was incredible. Being named a Supernatural Treasure and being given Sam as my guard was pretty darn awesome. Acquiring a debt for it all - well, I should have seen it coming. Now here we are, fighting demons from hell, caring for a boy that I just don't trust and traveling to faraway places to return a treasure to its rightful place. Nothing is as it seems. Everyone wears a mask, everyone puts on a charade. It's up to us to separate the truth from the lies and reality from fiction. A hard task when my new reality involves fallen angels, witches and dragons...and did I mention hell? Anchoring me down through it all is Sam. Sam who must face tragedies of his own and is put to the test again and again. If we fail in our task, life as we know it - life as you know it - will end. Forever.

--------
My review: 
4.5 stars

Charade was a really nice sequel, the characters were pretty well developed, I love the dynamic between Cole and Sam – especially now that Gemma has come around. I never liked Kimber so I was slightly annoyed by how much Heven wanted to trust her even though that was obviously not a good idea. The main characters were just flawed enough to be realistic and still likeable, I love that Sam wasn’t always Mr. Perfect, he screwed up sometimes and he was able to admit it and Heven was able to forgive him – often with minimal drama considering they had some other life or death situations to worry about at the time. Cole and Gemma were amazing secondary characters and they were honestly some of the best parts of the book for me.

Overall, the book was really good, it was not an oh-my-goodness-I-must-finish-reading-this-or-I-will-die book, but it was a great sequel and I honestly think that the author’s writing has improved. There is obviously going to be another book in the series and I cannot wait to find out what happens, I really do hope the characters get a well deserved happily ever after – I just wish I didn’t have to wait so long to read about it. 

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book as well! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I'm actually a 3L now (I just haven't updated my profile yet) I almost chose UF for my law school. It was down to that or FSU but I went to undergrad at FSU and I just couldn't bring myself to leave haha

    How are you liking UF and law school in general? I know what you mean, most days I barely have time to sleep, let alone read for class and my blog and actually have a life lol. But I love my blog so I try my best to keep it up.

    If you ever have any questions (blogging, lawschool or whatnot) just let me know :)

    What area of law do you want to do?

    maa06e@my.fsu.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on surviving until 3L year! I was in a similar boat, deciding between UF, FSU, and UM (I'm from South Florida so UM was closest to home). In the end, UF had the best facilities to me and it seemed to have the biggest network. One thing I kind of regret is being stuck in the middle of nowhere. Especially because I'm not that into football (I went to Rollins College for my undergrad and we did not have a football team) - I actually had to reschedule a study group meeting I had set up for Saturday because I realized I would not be able to get onto that side of town because of the South Carolina game.

      Right now I'm interested in both intellectual property and business law - but there aren't that many copyright/trademark jobs available down here and I don't want to leave the state (my family is here).

      As I'm sure you can tell I started the blog but decided to wait, so the couple of reviews that are up are the ones where I was playing around to see how they would look. I think I will take the plunge and actually start it either next semester or next year.

      Thanks so much for the offer, I may just take you up on that!

      How about you, what kind of law are you interested in?

      Delete
  2. I'm from south florida too. (Boca Raton) And I am sure that gainsville is nuts right now! I actually just watched the FSU v. Miami game, and thankfully FSU pulled out a win. :)

    I don't want to leave the state either. I have just started sending my resume out to firms, and I hope to be able to go back to South Florida after I take the bar. I want to do estate planning and probate litigation. I'm getting my business law certificate so I have done a good bit of corporate law and I worked at Holland & Knight this summer. It was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete